- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the starter assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the nut from the solenoid M-terminal.
Remove the solenoid retaining screws and the magnetic switch.
NOTEIf Pinion depth shims are found between the solenoid and the drive housing, remove them and set aside.
- Remove the solenoid and plunger spring.
- Disengage the plunger from the lever and remove the plunger.
- Connect the plunger to the plunger lever and install the plunger.
- Install the plunger spring and solenoid onto the plunger.
- Install the shims and magnetic switch and secure to the drive housing with the two screws.
- Re-install the nut onto solenoid M-terminal.
Measure the pinion gap to ensure proper clearance as follows:
- Secure the starter assembly in a vise.
Apply battery voltage between the solenoid S-terminal and ground. The pinion will eject outward and then stop.
WARNINGDo not apply electricity for more than 10 seconds.
- With the pinion fully extended, measure the clearance between the pinion and the drive housing. The clearance should be 0.020-0.079 inches.
- If clearance is not as specified, adjust by adding or removing shims between the solenoid and the drive housing until proper clearance is achieved.
- Reinstall the starter assembly.
Reconnect the negative battery cable.