Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air bag module.
- Following proper procedures, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering column upper and lower shrouds.
- Remove the lower crash pad.
- Remove the multifunction switch.
- Remove the bolts connecting the steering column shaft and the universal joint.
Carefully remove the steering column assembly(A) as shown.
WARNINGHandle the steering column carefully. Because of the energy absorbing characteristics of the steering column, it is easily damaged when out of the vehicle. Do not drop of lean on the steering column.
- Secure the steering column in a vise having padded jaws.
- Using a chisel and hammer, make a groove in the end of the fasteners attaching the steering lock assembly, so that the fasteners can be removed with a screwdriver.
- Remove the steering lock assembly.
- With steering column secured in a vise with padded jaws, install steering lock assembly using new bolts. Tighten the bolts until heads break off.
- Install the steering column in the vehicle, engaging the steering column assembly into the universal joint assembly.
- Install the bolts securing the steering column assembly and tighten to 10-13 ft. lbs. (13-18 Nm).
- Install the steering column assembly to the universal joint retaining bolt and tighten to 11-15 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm).
- Install the multifunction switch and connect the switch electrical connectors.
- Install the lower crash pad.
- Install the steering column shrouds.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Install the air bag module.
Connect the negative battery cable.