- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Using a pliers or flat-tipped screwdriver, remove the LH boot band and LH TJ boot band from the halfshaft.
Remove RH boot band and RH TJ boot band in the same way of LH removal procedure.
NOTEBe careful not to damage the boot.
- Remove the circlip (B) with a flat-tipped screwdriver (A).
- Pull out the halfshaft from the TJ outer race.
Remove the snapring (A) and take out the inner race (B), cage (C) and balls (D) as an assembly.
- Clean the inner race, cage and balls without disassembling.
Remove the BJ boot bands and pull out the TJ boot and BJ boot.
NOTEIf the boot is to be reused, wrap tape around the halfshaft splines to protect the boot.
- Wrap tape around the halfshaft splines (TJ side) to prevent damage to the boots.
- Apply grease to the halfshaft and install the boots.
Apply the specified grease to the inner race (A) and cage. Install the cage (B) so that it is offset on the race as shown.
NOTEUse the grease included in the repair kit.
- Apply the specified grease to the cage and fit the balls into the cage.
Position the chamfered side (A) as shown in the illustration. Install the inner race on the halfshaft (B), and then the snapring.
- Apply the specified grease to the outer race and install the BJ outer race onto the halfshaft.
- Apply the specified grease into the TJ boot and install the boot with a clip.
- Tighten the TJ boot bands.
- Add the specified grease to the BJ as much as was wiped away at inspection.
- Install the boots.
- Tighten the BJ boot bands.
Inspect the CV-boots for tears, leaks, cracks or any other form of damage and replace if necessary.
Check circlip, snap ring and boot bands for breakage or deformation. Replace as necessary.