Outer Tie Rod
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the front wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the ball joint.
- Remove the tie rod end from the knuckle using a ball joint separator.
- Loosen the locknut on the threaded end of the tie rod.
- Unscrew the tie rod end from the tie rod. Note the number of turns necessary for removal.
- Screw the new tie rod end onto the tie rod the exact number of turns necessary to remove the old tie rod end. This will allow the alignment to be close enough to drive the vehicle to the alignment shop.
- Tighten the tie rod end locknut.
- Install the castle nut and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Install the cotter pin.
- Install the front wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check and adjust the front wheel alignment.
Inner Tie Rod
Before servicing, or working around, the SRS system, properly disarm the system.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and properly support the vehicle.
- Following proper procedures, remove the steering rack assembly from the vehicle.
- Secure the steering rack assembly in a vise having padded jaws.
- Remove the outer tie rod end from the tie rod.
- Remove the bellow band and bellow clip.
- Pull the bellow out toward the tie rod.
- Unstake the tab washer(C) which fixes the tie rod(A) and rack(B) with a chisel.
- Unthread the tie rod from the rack to remove, taking care not to twist the rack.
- Thread the tie rod onto the rack, taking care not to twist the rack.
- Stake the tab washer that fixes the tie rod and rack with a chisel.
- Slide the bellow onto the steering rack and tie rod.
- Secure the bellow with a new bellow band and bellow clip.
Install the outer tie rod end as follows:
- Thread the tie rod end onto the tie rod.
- Adjust so that installed free length is 112.2 mm.
- Once proper free length is achieved, tighten the locknut.
- Following proper procedures, reinstall the steering rack assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Refill the power steering fluid to proper level.
- Following proper procedures, bleed air from the system.
Check and adjust the front wheel alignment.