The KS is a tuned accelerometer on the engine which converts engine vibration to an electrical signal. The PCM uses this signal to determine the presence of engine knock and to retard spark timing.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the lower intake manifold.
- Detach the knock sensor (KS) wiring retainer.
- Remove the bolt and the KS.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure. Tighten the KS bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
WARNINGUse only a high-impedance multimeter, otherwise damage to the PCM and/or sensors can result.
- With the key ON and the engine OFF , disconnect the knock sensor.
- Measure resistance of the knock sensor. Standard value is 4.39M ohms-5.35M ohms. If not, replace the knock sensor.