Removal & Installation
The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system must be disarmed before removing the steering column. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in unnecessary SIR repairs and/or personal injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds from the time the negative battery cable is disconnected to start any work.
- Remove the upper and lower column covers by removing the five screws.
- Remove the two nuts securing the upper steering column to the dash panel support and carefully lower the steering column assembly.
- Place the ignition key in the ACC position. push down the stop pin with a small, flat tool and pull out the key cylinder.
- Install the key cylinder making sure that it is in the ACC position. The key cylinder should snap into place as it passes the locking mechanism. Move the key through all the positions to ensure smooth and proper operation.
- Reattach the upper steering column to the dash panel support and secure with the two nuts.
- Reinstall the upper and lower column covers with the 5 screws.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable and check for proper operation.