- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds before performing any work on the steering wheel.
- Position the front wheels in a straight-ahead position.
- If necessary, remove the steering wheel lower covers.
- Loosen the Torx® screws until the groove along the screw circumference catches on the screw case.
Pull the wheel pad away from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag connector.
NOTEWhen removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the air bag harness connector. When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward.
- Disconnect the wire connector and remove the set nut.
- Place matchmarks on the steering wheel and the main shaft.
- Remove the steering with a suitable steering wheel puller.
Check that the front wheels are facing straight-ahead. Center the spiral cable. When centering the spiral cable be sure to use the following procedure:
- Check that the front wheels are pointing straight-ahead.
- Turn the spiral cable counterclockwise by hand until it becomes harder to turn the cable. The spiral cable will rotate approximately 3 turns to either the left or right of the center.
- Rotate the spiral cable clockwise approximately 3 turns to align the green mark.
- Align the matchmarks and install the steering wheel. Tighten the set nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Connect the connector.
Install the steering wheel pad after confirming that the circumference groove of the screws is caught on the screw case.
NOTEMake sure the wheel pad is installed to the specified torque. If the wheel pad has been dropped, or there are cracks, dents or other defects in the case or connector, replace the wheel pad with a new one. When installing the wheel pad, be sure the wires and connectors do not interfere with other parts and are not pinched between other parts.
- Tighten the screws to 65 inch lbs. (7 Nm) on 1993-94 LS400 78 inch lbs. (9 Nm) on others.
- Install the steering wheel lower No. 2 and No. 3 covers.
- Check the steering wheel center point.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.