Removal of the thermostat would have an adverse effect, causing a lowering of cooling efficiency. Do not remove the thermostat, even if the engine tends to overheat.
- Drain the engine coolant.
- Remove the battery clamp cover and air cleaner inlet.
Disconnect the water inlet from wat inlet housing.
- Remove the 3 nuts holding the water inlet to the inlet housing, and disconnect the water inlet together with the radiator hose from the water inlet housing.
- Remove the thermostat from water inlet housing.
Place the thermostat in water inlet housing.
- Install a new gasket to the thermostat.
Insert the thermostat into the water inlet housing with the jiggle valve facing straight upward.
NOTEThe jiggle valve may be set within 30° of either side of the prescribed position.
- Install the water inlet. Tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Fill with engine coolant.
- Start engine and check for coolant leaks.
- Recheck the engine coolant level.
- Install the air cleaner inlet and battery clamp cover.