Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
- If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
- If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Release tension from park brake system at the equalizer.
- Disconnect the front and rear cables from one another at the connector clip.
- Disconnect the park brake cable from the park brake lever on the brake caliper.
- Remove the park brake cable from the caliper bracket.
- Remove brake hose to caliper bolt.
- Remove the brake hose from the brake caliper.
- Remove and discard the 2 copper brake hose gaskets. These gaskets may be stuck to the brake caliper and/or the brake hose end.
- Plug the opening in the brake caliper and brake hose to prevent fluid loss and/or contamination.
- Remove the brake caliper bolts.
- Remove the brake caliper.
- Align the indents on the piston face to match the pin on the brake pad.
- Inspect the bracket bolt guide assembly.
- Inspect the brake pad hardware and replace if necessary.
- Install the brake caliper onto the caliper bracket insuring that the guide boots are not damaged.
- Install the brake caliper bolts. Tighten the brake caliper bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
Remove the plugs in the brake hose end.
NOTEInstall NEW copper brake hose gaskets.
- Assemble the brake hose bolt and the NEW copper brake hose gaskets to the brake hose.
- Install the brake hose to caliper bolt to the brake caliper. When installing the right rear brake hose to caliper, hold hose up while tightening. Tighten the brake hose to caliper bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Install the park brake cable into the park brake bracket on the caliper.
- Connect the park brake cable to the park brake lever on the brake caliper.
- Bleed the brake system.
- With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2 / 3 of its travel distance.
- Slowly release the brake pedal.
- Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 12-13 until a firm brake pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
- Adjust the park brake system.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.