For seal replacement, see the next procedure.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces and drive out the crankshaft seal.
- Clean the timing gears and turn the crankshaft until the timing mark on the crankshaft and camshaft face each other (camshaft at 6 o-clock and crankshaft at twelve o-clock).
- Remove the camshaft timing gear mounting bolt.
- Remove the timing gears and chain as an assembly.
- Assemble the timing chain and gears on a work bench, with the timing marks aligned.
- Install the timing chain and gear assembly onto the engine with the timing marks facing outwards.
- Install the camshaft timing gear mounting bolt and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Lubricate the new timing cover oil seal with Shell Retinax LX, or equivalent grease, ensuring that the space between seal lips is filled with grease.
Install or connect the following:
Seal with a suitable seal driver