Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove auxiliary drive belt.
- Remove oil pan.
- Remove 2 bolts and 1 nut and remove oil pickup strainer.
- Remove and discard 3 water pump pulley bolts. Remove the pulley.
- Use a tool, LRT-12-080, to hold crankshaft pulley, then remove the pulley bolt and pulley.
- Remove and discard the oil filter.
- Remove the 9 bolts from the timing gear cover, noting position of the longer bolts. Remove the cover.
- Remove and discard the cover gasket and seal.
- Temporarily install crankshaft pulley bolt and rotate engine to align timing marks on both sprockets. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
- Hold camshaft gear and remove gear retaining bolt.
- Remove the timing chain and both gears as an assembly.
- Remove the gears from the timing chain.
- If necessary, remove the key from the crankshaft keyway.
- Clean the timing chain, gears, camshaft and crankshaft mating surfaces.
- Temporarily fit gears to camshaft and crankshaft, rotating shafts as needed to line up timing marks.
- When aligned (camshaft mark at 6 o-clock and crankshaft mark at 12 o-clock), remove gears from shafts and fit timing chain, retaining timing mark alignment.
- With timing marks aligned, install timing chain and gears as an assembly.
- Hold camshaft gear from turning and tighten camshaft retaining bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Clean timing gear cover and mating face.
- Clean oil seal register in timing gear cover.
- Install a new timing gear cover gasket (dry), align oil pump drive gear to key in crankshaft, and fit timing gear cover.
- Align 2 camshaft sensor harness clips to timing gear cover bolt holes. Noting positions of the longer bolts, install timing gear cover bolts. Working in sequence shown, tighten bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Carefully apply grease, Retinax LX, to inner recess of a new crankshaft oil seal until recess is half-filled with grease. Do not allow grease to coat any other part of the seal. Do not apply oil to the seal lips.
- Apply a smear of grease, Retinax LX, to oil seal running surface on crankshaft.
- Install the seal, using seal installer LRT-12-089.
- Clean and install crankshaft pulley. Tighten bolt to 200 ft. lbs. (270 Nm).
- Clean oil filter mating face and install a new oil seal after coating filter seal with clean engine oil.
- Clean water pump and pulley mating faces. Remove all traces of thread locking material from water pump pulley drive flange bolt holes.
- Install water pump pulley and tighten new Patchlok bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
Install oil pickup strainer as follows:
- Clean oil pickup strainer and O-ring recess.
- Lubricate and install a new O-ring.
- Locate washer on stud and position oil pickup strainer.
- Install and tighten bolts to 8 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install and tighten nut to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install oil pan with new gasket.
- Install auxiliary drive belt.
For seal replacement, see the next procedure.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
NOTETo remove the timing gear upper covers, upper timing chains, sprockets and Variable Camshaft Control (VCC) unit, see the cylinder head procedure in this section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Clean the timing chain guides and sprockets.
- Lubricate the timing chain with clean engine oil.
Install the timing chain to the crankshaft sprocket and right side VCC unit.
NOTEThe timing chain may be installed in any position to the crankshaft and VCC sprocket.
- Secure the timing chain to the left cylinder head until the left side VCC is installed.
- Clean the lower timing gear cover and mating surfaces.
- Apply sealant to the oil pan upper contact surface.
Using new gaskets, install the timing gear cover and install the bolts in the correct locations as shown.
- Tighten all the bolts to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Tighten the M6 bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm), and the M8 bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (2 Nm).
- Tighten the 6 oil pan-to-lower cover bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Recheck the torque of all the bolts.
Install or connect the following:
Power steering pump
- Start the engine and check for leaks.