Release the ash tray panel from rear console, disconnect the multiplug from power socket and remove ash tray panel.
- Fully release the parking brake lever.
- With engine running, apply the brake pedal at least 30 times, to ensure full adjustment of rear brake shoes.
- Turn the engine OFF .
- Apply the parking brake lever one notch at a time and count the number of notches required to apply the brakes firmly, equivalent to a pull of 20 kgf. applied at mid point of the parking brake lever grip. The parking brake lever travel = 4 to 7 notches.
Adjust parking brake cable tension if travel is outside limits.
WARNINGHand brake travel must be within the limits given or the automatic adjusters may not work.
- If carrying out parking brake adjustment after brake drum installation, apply brake pedal a min. of 30 times, to ensure full adjustment of rear brake shoes.
Raise rear of vehicle.
CAUTIONDo not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.
- Check parking brake cable connections for free movement in parking brake equalizer.
- Apply the parking brake lever one notch.
Tighten equalizer adjusting nut until rear wheels drag slightly when turned.
- Release the parking brake lever and check that rear wheels do not drag when turned. Adjust if necessary.
- Apply the parking brake lever one notch at a time and count the number of notches until both rear wheels lock. This should be a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 7 clicks. Adjust if necessary.
- Release parking brake
- Fit ash tray panel and cigar lighter to rear console.
- Remove stands and lower vehicle.
- Remove switch panel from center console:
- Release parking brake lever gaiter from center console.
Rotate the adjuster counter-clockwise to increase cable tension (reduce notches) or clockwise to decrease cable tension (increase notches).
- Recheck the parking brake operation.
- Secure parking brake lever gaiter to center console.
Install the switch panel to center console:
- Install the switch to mounting plate and attach the connector.
- Position the mounting plate and secure with screws.
- Install the console switch cover.
- Remove the jack stand(s), then carefully lower the vehicle.
Apply the parking brake lever 3 notches on the ratchet. The parking brake should be fully operational. If the parking brake is not fully operational, the brake shoes and/or the parking brake cable need to be adjusted, as outlined in the following steps.
Ensure the parking brake is correctly adjusted:
- At approximately 24 mph (40 km/h), apply parking brake until braking force can be felt. Apply parking brake one further notch and drive on for 440 yards (400 meters). If necessary, adjust, as follows:
Raise rear of vehicle and support with safety stands.
CAUTIONNEVER work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.
- Remove the wheels.
On each rear brake:
- Remove adjuster access plug from brake disc.
- Rotate brake disc until access hole is in the 6 o'clock position.
- Using a screwdriver or similar tool, turn brake shoe adjuster until resistance is felt. Apply parking brake several times to centre shoes, re-adjust if required and repeat.
- Ensure parking brake is released and check disc will not rotate.
- Back the adjuster off 8 notches, check disc is free to rotate.
- Install the adjuster access plug.
- Install the rear wheels.
- Parking brake lever assembly is self adjusting and will correctly tension cables. However after adjustment apply parking brake several times, release parking brake and ensure road wheels are free to rotate.
- Lower vehicle.