Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery ground lead.
- Remove rear beam.
- Remove right side catalytic converter.
- Remove left side exhaust manifold gasket.
- Drain fluid from intermediate reduction drive (IRD).
- Drain transmission fluid.
- Remove 3 bolts securing right side splash shield to body and remove shield.
- Secure LRT-54-026 to drive shaft inboard joint. Using a suitable lever, release drive shaft from IRD.
- With assistance, pull hub outwards and release drive shaft from IRD.
Care must be taken not to damage oil seal when removing drive shaft from IRD.
- Remove and discard drive shaft circlip.
- Reference mark front propeller shaft for reassembly.
- Raise one rear wheel for rotation of propeller shaft to access bolts.
- Remove 6 nuts and bolts securing propeller shaft to IRD drive flange.
- Release propeller shaft from IRD drive flange and tie shaft aside.
Care must be taken to support the Tripod joint when removed from the IRD unit. To avoid damage to boot or steel can, the joint should not be allowed to fully extend or be dropped.
- Remove nut securing manifold heat shield to IRD unit.
- Remove nut securing heat shield to IRD pinion housing.
- Remove 2 bolts securing heat shield and remove heat shield.
- Disconnect breather hose from IRD housing.
- Position container to collect coolant spillage.
- Release clips and disconnect coolant hoses from IRD.
- Remove bolt securing engine lower steady to IRD support bracket.
- Remove lower engine steady noting that 'TOP' mark on engine steady faces uppermost.
- Remove 3 bolts securing IRD support bracket to oil pan.
- Remove 2 bolts securing IRD support bracket to engine front mounting plate.
- Remove 5 bolts securing support bracket to IRD.
- Remove support bracket.
- Remove 4 bolts securing IRD.
- With assistance, release IRD from gearbox and remove.
- Remove and discard O-ring from IRD.
- Clean mating faces of IRD and gearbox.
- Lubricate and fit new O-ring
- With assistance, fit IRD.
- Install bolts securing IRD to gearbox and tighten sufficiently only to pull mating faces of IRD and gearbox together at this stage.
- Install IRD support bracket and tighten bolts sufficiently only to pull mating faces together.
- Final tighten bolts securing IRD to gearbox to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
Final tighten bolts securing IRD support bracket in following sequence:
5 bolts securing support bracket to IRD 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Position lower engine steady, 'TOP' mark uppermost. Install bolt, but do not tighten at this stage.
- Connect coolant hoses and secure with clips.
- Connect breather hose to IRD housing.
- Install manifold heat shield and fit nut securing heat shield to pinion housing finger tight.
- Install bolts securing manifold heat shield to IRD support bracket and tighten to 7 ft. lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install nut securing heat shield to IRD and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Final tighten nut securing manifold heat shield to IRD pinion housing to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Clean propeller shaft flange and mating face.
- Install propeller shaft to IRD flange and align marks. Tighten nuts and bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Inspect drive shaft oil seal, renew if worn or damaged.
- Clean drive shaft and flange splines.
- Install new circlip to driveshaft.
- With assistance, pull hub outwards, align drive shaft and fit to IRD taking care not to damage oil seal.
Pull the drive shaft to ensure the circlip is fully engaged and retains the shaft.
- Install splash shield and secure with bolts.
- Install exhaust front pipe.
- Install rear beam.
- Final tighten bolt securing lower engine steady to IRD support bracket to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Fill IRD to correct level with fluid.
- Install right side catalytic converter.
- Install left side exhaust manifold gasket.
- Fill gearbox with fluid.
- Connect battery ground lead.
- Refill cooling system.