Removal & Installation
4gr-Fse & 2gr-Fse Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Remove the timing chain cover assembly as follows:
- Remove bolt and wiring harness clamp bracket.
- Remove 25 mounting bolts and 2 mounting nuts.
- Remove the timing chain cover by prying between the timing chain cover and cylinder head or cylinder block with a screwdriver.
- Remove the gasket.
- Remove the timing chain case oil seal.
Install the timing chain cover assembly as follows:
- Install a new timing chain case oil seal.
Apply seal packing in a continuous line of 0.197-0.217 inches (5.0-5.5mm) in diameter to the engine at the seem where the cylinder head meets the camshaft bearing cap assembly and the cylinder head meets the cylinder block
NOTEBe sure to clean, degrease and dry the contact surfaces before applying the seal packing. Install the component within 3 minutes after applying seal packing. Do not start the engine for at least 2 hours after installing.
- Apply seal packing in a continuous line of 0.138-0.158 inches (3.5-4.0mm) in diameter to the timing chain cover
- Install a new gasket
- Align the oil pump drive rotor spline and the crankshaft. Install the spline and chain cover to the crankshaft.
Temporarily tighten the timing chain cover with the 25 bolts and nuts.
- Fully tighten the 3 bolts shown in the illustration. Torque bolt A to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm). Torque the 2 remaining bolts to 15 ft. lbs (21 Nm).
- Fully tighten the 3 bolts shown in the illustration. Torque the bolts to 15 ft. lbs (21 Nm).
- Fully tighten the 7 bolts and 2 nuts shown in the illustration. Torque th