- Disable and remove the drivers side airbag.
- Disconnect all the electrical connectors.
- Partially remove the steering wheel bolt and leave the bolt in the column.
Install puller or equivalent using the top of the bolt to push on.
NOTEEnsure the bolts are threaded firmly into the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel.
Install steering wheel to the column
NOTEDo not reuse the old steering wheel bolt - a new bolt must be used each time the steering wheel is removed.
NOTEBe certain that the steering wheel mounting bolt is tightened to the proper torque specification to ensure proper clockspring operation.
- Install the new steering wheel bolt . Tighten the bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Reconnect all the electrical connectors.
- Install the drivers side air bag.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds before performing any work.
- Remove the lower steering wheel cover.
- Remove connector cover.
- Disconnect the connector and remove the steering pad switch.
- Remove the horn button assembly.
Remove the steering wheel assembly as follows:
- Remove the steering wheel assy set nut.
- Place matchmarks on the steering wheel assy and steering main shaft assy.
- Using SST 09950-50013 (09951-05010, 09952-05010, 09953-05020, 09954-05021), remove the steering wheel assy.
- Align the matchmarks on the steering wheel assy and steering main shaft assy.
- Install the steering wheel assy set nut and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the horn button assembly.
- Connect the connector, then install the steering pad switch with the 2 screws.
- Install the connector cover.
- Install the lower steering wheel cover.
- Inspect operation of the SRS warning light.