Diagnosis & Testing
Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 2 and the negative (-) lead to terminal 5.
NOTEThese tests must be done quickly (within 3 - 5 seconds) to prevent the coil from burning out.
Check that the motor turns (moves upward).
- Then, reverse the polarity, check that the motor turns the opposite way (moves downward).
Inspect the antenna motor control relay circuit by disconnecting the connector from the relay and inspect the connector on wire harness side, as shown in the chart.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait 90 seconds before doing any further work while the airbag system de-energizes.
- Remove the antenna nut and antenna ornament (SC 430).
Remove the interior trunk side cover (left side for SC 300 and SC 400, and right side for SC 430).
- Disconnect the motor antenna connector and the antenna cord.
- Remove the nut and the motor antenna assembly.
- Place antenna motor into proper installed position and install the antenna nut.
- Connect the motor antenna connector and the antenna cord.
- Install the nut.
- Install the left rear side cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
The SC 300, SC 400 and SC 430 models comes equipped with an automatic antenna which extends automatically when the radio, or Radio Data System (RDS), are turned on and retracts when either is turned off.
The GS models come equipped with a window glass antenna (an antenna printed on the rear glass), but do not utilize an antenna motor.