- Temporarily install the hub nuts.
- Remove the hole plug, and turn the adjuster and expand the shoes until the disc locks.
- Contract the shoe adjuster until the disc can rotate smoothly. Standard: Return 7-8 notches
- Check shoe is no brake drag.
- Install the hole plug.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove the 2 bolts and separate the rear disc brake caliper assy. Do not disconnect the flexible hose from the brake caliper.
Release the parking brake, and remove the rear disc.
NOTEPut matchmarks on the disc and the axle hub. If the disc cannot be removed easily, turn the shoe adjuster until the wheel turns freely.
- Using a needle-nose pliers, remove the 2 return tension springs.
- Slide out the front shoe and remove the shoe strut compression spring.
- Remove the parking brake shoe strut.
Remove the parking brake shoe as follows:
- Release the cup claw and remove the front and rear parking brake shoe.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the shoe lever.
- Remove the tension spring and shoe adjuster screw set from the front and rear shoe.
- Remove the 2 shoe hold-down springs, 4 cups and 2 pins.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the C-washer.
- Remove the shim and shoe lever from the parking brake shoe.
- Apply chalk to the inside surface of the disc, then grind down the brake shoe lining to fit. If the contact between the brake disc and the shoe lining is improper, repair it using a brake shoe grinder or replace the brake shoe assembly.
- Apply the high temperature grease to the shoe attached surface of backing plate.
Install the parking brake shoe as follows:
- Install the shoe lever and shim to the rear shoe with a new C-washer.
- Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance. Standard clearance: Less than 0.35mm (0.0138 in.). If the clearance is not within the specification, replace the shim with one of the correct size.
- Apply the high temperature grease to the adjusting bolt.
- Install the shoe adjusting screw set and tension spring to the front and rear shoe.
- Install the 2 pins, 4 cups and 2 shoe hold-down springs.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the shoe lever.
- Install the front and rear parking brake shoe.
- Install the parking brake shoe strut.
- Install the parking brake shoe strut compression spring.
- Using a needle nose pliers, install the 2 return tension springs.
Check that each part is installed properly.
NOTEThere should be no oil or grease adhering to the friction surface of the shoe lining and disc.
- Install the rear disc.
- Adjust the parking brake shoe clearance.
- Install the rear disc brake caliper assy.
- Install the rear wheel.
- Inspect and adjust parking brake pedal or lever travel.