- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Place the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Remove the horn pad.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower steering column cover.
- Remove the turn signal switch.
- Remove the spiral cable assembly.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the engine under-covers.
- Remove the stabilizer bar.
- Remove the tie rod ends from the knuckle.
- Remove the steering intermediate shaft.
- Disconnect the pressure and return lines.
- Remove the 2 bolts and remove the steering gear assembly.
Position the gear and install the 2 bolts. Torque to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
NOTEThe nuts have detents. Never turn the nuts, just the bolts.
- Install the stabilizer bar. Torque the end links to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm); the clamp bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Connect the return line. Use a torque wrench with SST 09023-12700, or equivalent. The torque wrench should have a fulcrum length of 300mm. Torque to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
- Connect the pressure line at the sub-frame. Torque to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Connect the pressure line to the gear. Use a torque wrench with SST 09023-12700, or equivalent. The torque wrench should have a fulcrum length of 300mm. Torque to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
- Connect the intermediate shaft. Torque to 26 ft. lbs. (36 Nm).
- Connect the tie rod ends. Torque to 67 ft. lbs. (91 Nm).
- Install the under-covers.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.