Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the engine under-covers.
- Remove the front driveshaft.
- Remove the pinion nut.
- Remove the companion flange with a puller.
- Remove the oil seal with a seal puller.
- Remove the oil slinger.
- Remove the bearing with a puller.
- Remove the oil storage ring.
- Remove the spacer and discard it.
- Install a new spacer.
- Install the oil storage ring using a brass drift.
- Install the bearing.
- Install the slinger.
- Using a seal driver, install the new oil seal. Drive the seal into a depth of 1.00mm +/- 0.45mm.
- Install the companion flange. Coat the threads of a new flange nut with gear oil. Hold the flange and torque the nut to 273 ft. lbs. (370 Nm).
- Using an inch-pound torque wrench, check the preload. Preload for a new bearing should be 9-15 inch lbs.; for a used bearing, 5-7.5 inch lbs. If not, a new spacer must be installed.
- When preload is correct, stake the nut.
- Install the driveshaft. Torque the bolts to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Fill the differential.
- Install the under-covers.