Removal & Installation
2.5L & 4.0L Engines
- Remove the thermal viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly.
- Remove the four fan retaining bolts.
- Separate the fan blade from the thermal viscous fan drive
- Position the fan blade on the thermal viscous fan drive.
- Install four mounting bolts. Tighten to 210 inch lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the thermal viscous fan drive
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
The thermal viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly is attached (threaded) to fan support.
- Remove fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly from water pump using special tool 6958 spanner wrench, or equivalent, by turning mounting nut counterclockwise as viewed from front. Threads on viscous fan drive are RIGHT HAND.
- Do not attempt to remove fan/fan drive viscous clutch assembly from vehicle at this time.
- Do not unbolt fan blade assembly from fan drive viscous clutch at this time.
- Remove fan shroud to radiator bolts.
- Remove fan shroud and fan blade/fan drive viscous clutch assembly as a complete unit from vehicle.
- After removing fan blade/fan drive viscous clutch assembly, do not place viscous clutch in horizontal position. If stored horizontally, silicone fluid in the fan drive viscous clutch could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate lubricant.
- Remove four bolts securing fan blade assembly to fan drive viscous clutch.
- Remove cooling fan support from engine block.
- Assemble fan blade to viscous fan drive. Tighten mounting bolts to 23 Nm (210 inch lbs.) torque.
The viscous fan and fan shroud must be installed as an assembly.
- Gently lay fan and viscous drive into fan shroud.
- Install the fan shroud to radiator mounting bolt. Tighten bolts to 9 Nm (80 inch lbs.) torque.
- Thread the fan and viscous drive onto the fan support and tighten nut using special tool 6958 spanner wrench.
- Install cooling fan support to engine block. Torque bolts to 149 Nm (110 ft. lbs.).
- Install fan drive viscous clutch and fan assembly.
- Connect negative battery cable.
If the fan blade is bent, warped, cracked or damaged in any way, it must be replaced only with a replacement fan blade. Do not attempt to repair a damaged fan blade.
For 3.7L Heavy Duty/Max Cool/Trailer Tow cooling package, the viscous fan cannot be removed separate from the shroud. Both fan and shroud must be removed together.
- Disconnect battery negative cable.
- Using special tool 6958 wrench and 8346 adapters, remove the viscous fan from the water pump .
- Gently lay fan into shroud.
- Disconnect the electrical connector for the electric fan, then disconnect connector from shroud.
- Remove the two fan shroud mounting bolts connecting the fan shroud to the radiator.
- Remove the shroud and fan from the vehicle.
For 3.7L Heavy Duty/Max Cool/Trailer Tow cooling package, the viscous fan cannot be installed separate from the shroud. Both fan and shroud must be installed together.
- Gently lay viscous fan into shroud.
- Install fan shroud assembly into the vehicle. Tighten fan shroud to radiator bolts to 50 inch lbs. (5.5 Nm).
- Using special tool 6958 wrench and 8346 adapters, install the viscous fan on the water pump.
- Connect fan motor wire connector to harness connector, and attach connector to shroud.
- Connect battery negative cable.
- Start engine and check fan operation.