The 3-wire, electrical/mechanical engine oil pressure sensor (sending unit) is located in an engine oil pressure gallery.
The oil pressure sensor uses three circuits. They are:
A 5 volt supply is sent to the sensor from the PCM to power up the sensor. The sensor returns a voltage signal back to the PCM relating to engine oil pressure.
This signal is then transferred (bussed) to the instrument panel on either a CCD or PCI bus circuit (depending on vehicle line) to operate the oil pressure gauge and the check gauges lamp. Ground for the sensor is provided by the PCM through a low-noise sensor return.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
- Raise vehicle on hoist.
- Remove front splash shield.
- Disconnect oil pressure sender connector.
Remove the pressure sender.
- Install oil pressure sender.
- Connect oil pressure sender wire.
- Install front splash shield.
- Lower vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.