Removal & Installation
2.5L & 4.0L Engines
- Disconnect negative cable from battery.
- Remove the vibration damper.
- Remove the fan, hub assembly and fan shroud.
- Remove the accessory drive brackets that are attached to the timing case cover.
- Remove the A/C compressor (if equipped) and generator bracket assembly from the engine cylinder head and move to one side.
- Remove the oil pan-to-timing case cover bolts and timing case cover-to-cylinder block bolts.
- Remove the timing case cover and gasket from the engine.
- Pry the crankshaft oil seal from the front of the timing case cover
Clean the timing case cover, oil pan and cylinder block gasket surfaces.
- Install a new crankshaft oil seal in the timing case cover. The open end of the seal should be toward the inside of the cover. Support the cover at the seal area while installing the seal. Force it into position with Seal Installation Tool 6139.
- Position the gasket on the cylinder block.
- Position the timing case cover on the oil pan gasket and the cylinder block.
- Insert Timing Case Cover Alignment and Seal Installation Tool 6139 in the crankshaft opening in the cover.
- Install the timing case cover-to-cylinder block and the oil pan-to-timing case cover bolts.
- Tighten the 1 / 4 inch cover-to-block bolts to 60 inch lbs. (7 Nm) torque. Tighten the 5 / 16 inch front cover-to-block bolts to 192 inch lbs. (22 Nm) torque Tighten the oil pan-to-cover 1 / 4 inch bolts to 84 inch lbs. (9.5 Nm) torque.
- Remove the cover alignment tool.
- Apply a light film of engine oil on the vibration damper hub contact surface of the seal.
- Apply Mopar® Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant to the keyway in the crankshaft and insert the key. With the key inserted in the keyway in the crankshaft, install the vibration damper.
- Install the A/C compressor (if equipped) and generator bracket assembly.
- Install the engine fan, hub assembly and shroud.
- Install the serpentine drive belt.
- Connect negative cable to battery