Removal & Installation
2.8L Diesel Engine
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Remove engine cover and bracket.
- Drain cooling system.
- Evacuate A/C.
- Remove radiator core support.
- Remove cooling fan and fan drive viscous clutch assembly.
- Remove accessory drive belt.
- Remove accessory drive belt tensioner and both idler pulleys, Idler pulley bolts are L.H. thread.
- Remove power steering pump pulley.
- Remove front engine lift bracket.
- Remove cooling fan support.
- Remove generator and support bracketing.
- Remove viscous heater.
- Rotate the engine to 90 ° ATDC, or the 3 o-clock position at the crankshaft hub.
- Remove vibration damper.
- Disconnect main engine wiring harness connectors from right inner wheel housing.
- Disconnect main engine wiring harness ancillary components and set harness aside.
- Remove air cleaner housing.
- Remove exhaust manifold heat shield .
- Remove turbocharger heat shield retaining bolt and position shield aside .
- Remove turbocharger oil supply line from turbocharger.
- Raise and support vehicle.
- Disconnect exhaust stabilizer bracket at lower exhaust manifold .
- Disconnect exhaust system bracket at transmission cross member.
- Lower the vehicle and remove the exhaust manifold retaining nuts.
- Slide the exhaust manifold and turbocharger off of exhaust manifold studs .
- Remove coolant hoses at thermostat housing.
- Disconnect fuel return hose from fuel injectors and set aside.
- Remove fuel injector pressure lines.
- Disconnect fuel pump high pressure line at fuel rail.
- Disconnect oil level indicator tube from intake manifold.
- Disconnect brake booster line bracket from intake manifold and position aside.
Remove fuel injectors.
CAUTIONBefore removing the cylinder head cover/ intake manifold or timing belt the crankshaft hub must placed at 90° ATDC or the 3 O-clock position. Failure to do so could result in valve and/or piston damage during reassembly.
- Remove timing belt outer cover.
- Remove timing belt.
- Using VM.1085, remove both camshaft gears.
- Remove timing belt inner cover.
- Remove cylinder head cover/intake manifold.
- Slide exhaust manifold and turbocharger on exhaust manifold studs .
- Install exhaust manifold retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm) in a cross sequence beginning in the middle and working outward, then perform the tightening sequence to the exhaust manifold nuts again.
- Install exhaust manifold heat shield. Torque bolts to 217 inch lbs. (24.5 Nm).
- Install turbocharger outlet to charge air cooler pipe.
- Install upper radiator hose.
- Install new cylinder head cover/intake manifold gasket.
- Install cylinder head cover/intake manifold. Tighten the bolts as follows:
Install timing belt inner cover.
NOTEMake sure the crankshaft is rotated to the 90 ° ATCD, or the 3 O-clock position.
- Install both camshaft gears and tighten bolts finger tight.
- Install timing belt.
- Using VM.1085, torque cam gear retaining bolts to 108 Nm.
- Install timing belt outer cover.
- Remove both camshaft locking pins at this time.
- Install fuel injectors.
- Install brake booster line bracket to intake manifold.
- Install oil level indicator tube to intake manifold.
- Connect fuel pump high pressure line to fuel rail.
- Install fuel injector pressure lines.
- Connect fuel return hose to fuel injectors.
- Connect engine coolant hoses to thermostat housing.
- Raise vehicle.
- Reconnect exhaust system bracket at transmission cross member.
- Connect exhaust stabilizer bracket to lower exhaust manifold .
- Install turbocharger oil supply line to turbocharger.
- Lower vehicle.
- Install turbocharger heat shield.
- Install exhaust manifold heat shield.
- Install air cleaner housing.
- Install main engine wiring harness and connect all ancillary electrical components.
- Install viscous heater.
- Install vibration damper.
- Install generator.
- Install cooling fan support.
- Install front engine lift bracket.
- Install power steering pump pulley.
- Install accessory drive belt tensioner and both idler pulleys. Idler pulley retaining bolts are L.H. Thread.
- Install accessory drive belt.
- Install cooling fan and fan drive viscous clutch assembly.
- Install upper radiator core support.
- Refill cooling system.
- Install engine cover and bracket.
- Connect negative battery cable.
- Start engine and allow to warm. Turn engine off and inspect for leaks.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Intake manifold using new gaskets. Torque the bolts, in sequence, to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Fill and bleed the cooling system.
- Start the engine, check for leaks and repair if necessary.