Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove hub/bearing and axle shaft.
- Disconnect the tie-rod or drag link from the steering knuckle arm.
- Remove the cotter pins from the upper and lower ball studs.
- Remove the upper and lower ball stud nuts.
Using special tool C-4150A separate the ball joints from the steering knuckle. Remove knuckle from ball studs.
- Position the steering knuckle on the ball studs.
- Install and tighten the bottom retaining nut to 80 ft. lbs. (109 Nm) torque. Install new cotter pin.
- Install and tighten the top retaining nut to 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm) torque. Install new cotter pin.
- Install the hub bearing and axle shaft.
- Connect the tie-rod or drag link end to the steering knuckle arm. Torque to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
The upper ball joint is serviced as an assembly with the control arm.