Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the -Precautions- section.
- Remove or disconnect the following:
Loosen the front axle wheel hub retainer.
WARNINGDo not allow the knuckle to hang freely. It is possible to overextend and internally separate each inner CV-joint from its housing.
WARNINGDo not use a hammer to separate the outboard CV-joint from the hub. Damage to the threads and internal CV-joint components may result.
Wheel and tire assembly
Upper ball joint from the knuckle
- Press the outboard CV-joint until it is loose in the hub.
Remove the outboard CV-joint from the hub.
WARNINGDo not damage the axle shaft oil seal or the machined sealing surface on the inboard CV-joint housing.
NOTEA circlip retains the inboard CV-joint housing to the differential side gear in the axle.
- On the left side, pry the left inboard CV-joint housing from the differential side gear.
- On the right side, disengage the right inboard CV-joint housing from the axle tube.
- Pull the halfshaft and the axle shaft away from the axle tube, and separate the inboard CV-joint housing from the axle shaft.
Remove the halfshaft assembly from the vehicle.
WARNINGDo not damage the axle shaft oil seal, the machined sealing surface on the inboard CV-joint housing, or the axle shaft splines.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Always install the halfshaft with a new retainer circlip and a new front axle wheel hub retainer.
On the right side, check the retainer circlip engagement after reseating the axle shaft and after installing the halfshaft in the axle. On the left side, check the retainer circlip engagement after installing the halfshaft in the axle. When seated, the retainer circlip will lock the axle shaft and the inboard CV-joint housing to the axle.
WARNINGNever use power tools to tighten the front axle wheel hub retainer. Torque the retainer to 184 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).
NOTEIt may be necessary to support the front suspension lower arm to be able to connect the upper ball joint to the knuckle.