Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Position jack stands under the axle housing.
Remove the left shock absorber.
CAUTIONNever reuse U-bolts. The U-bolts are a torque-to-yield design and cannot be retightened. Failure to use a new U-bolt can result in loose or broken springs and suspension components.
- Remove the two U-bolts and the front spring spacer. Discard the U-bolts.
- Disconnect the front driveshaft.
- Remove the nut and bolt. Position the spring shackle away from the spring.
Detach the pushpin and remove the bolt and condenser bracket.
- Remove the nut and bolt. Using a hammer, tap the spring until the spring is free from the hanger bracket.
- Remove the spring from the vehicle.
- Position the spring in the vehicle.
- Position the spring into the hanger.
- Install the bolt and nut. Do not tighten the nut and bolt at this time.
- Install the bracket and bolt and the pushpin. Torque to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Position the shackle.
Install the bolt and nut. Do not tighten the nut and bolt at this time.
NOTEThe U-bolts insert through the front spring cap on the left-hand side and through the axle assembly bracket on the right-hand side.
- Position the front spring spacer and the new U-bolts.
- Install the four nuts. Do not tighten the nuts at this time.
Install the shock, bolt and nut onto the spring cap. Torque to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
NOTEThe suspension must be loaded with the weight of the vehicle before the U-bolts and the leaf spring mounting bolts can be tightened. Make sure that the locating pin is correctly aligned with the axle.
Lower the vehicle onto the jack stands until the front suspension is supporting the weight of the vehicle.
NOTEThe U-bolts must be tightened in sequence.
- Tighten the U-bolts following the sequence shown. Torque to 99 ft. lbs. (133 Nm).
- Tighten the leaf spring rear retaining bolt and nut to 185 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).
- Tighten the leaf spring front retaining bolt and nut to 203 ft. lbs. (275 Nm).
- Raise the vehicle and remove the jack stands.
- Position the driveshaft onto the pinion flange.
- Install the two straps and the four bolts. Torque to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.