Removal & Installation
1.6L (W10 And W11) Engines
Before beginning, always make sure to communicate with the fault memory with a BMW DIS (or equivalent OBD-II scan tool) for existing faults. It may be helpful to print out the results. Once the installation is complete, rerun the scan and correct the remaining faults.
Make sure that all electrical accessories are off and the ignition is switched off.
- For the R50 (W10 Cooper) only: Remove the intake air manifold.
- For the R53 (W11 Cooper S) only: Remove the exhaust turbocharger.
- Unlock and disconnect the knock sensor plug connection.
- Unscrew the knock sensor screw and remove knock sensor.
- Clean the surface of knock sensors where they contact the engine block.
Observe the position of the knock sensor in relation to the engine block. It should be positioned at an angle of 20 degrees to the perpendicular of the engine block.
- Replace the knock sensor and knock sensor screw.
- Connect and lock the knock sensor plug connection.
- Clear the fault memory.