- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air filter housing.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the battery and the battery housing.
- Disconnect the wiring harness and remove the coolant temperature sensor.
- Install the coolant temperature sensor.
- Install the battery housing and the battery.
- Fill and vent the cooling system.
- Install the air filter housing.
- Connect the battery cables.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
1.6L (W10 And W11) Engines
There is a danger of scalding so only perform this task on an engine that has completely cooled down.
Before beginning, always make sure to communicate with the fault memory with a BMW DIS (or equivalent OBD-II scan tool) for existing faults. It may be helpful to print out the results. Once the installation is complete, rerun the scan and correct the remaining faults.
Make sure that all electrical accessories are off and the ignition is switched off.
- Remove the intake filter housing.
- Drain the coolant down to below the height of the thermostat housing.
- For the R50 (W10 Cooper) model only: Remove the battery housing.
- Unlock the plug connection and remove it.
Remove the coolant temperature sensor.
- Replace the coolant temperature sensor.
- Install the plug connection and lock down the tab.
- Refill and vent the cooling system.
- Clear the fault memory.