Removal & Installation
This procedure calls for the spring to be compressed. A compressed spring has high potential energy and if released suddenly can cause severe damage and personal injury.
Springs with identical color code must be used in pairs (color code is on the end of the spring coil).
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Remove the strut from the vehicle and mount in a vise using a strut holder. This will prevent damage to the strut tube
- Using a proper spring compressor, 31-3-341 with 31-3-355, compress the spring until the lock pins on the coil spring holding tools are heard and felt to lock in place.
- Only tighten the coil springs until the stress on the thrust bearing is relieved.
- Remove the retaining nut and the coil spring and strut assembly.
- Slowly release the compression of the spring.
- Check the condition of the spring pad and replace it, if necessary.
- Be sure the spring pad fits over the tongue on the lower spring seat.
- Check the protective sleeve on top of the upper spring seat. During installation, make sure the tabs of the sleeve fit correctly over the trim.
- Be sure spring seats are fit from the chamfered side of the special tools and that the lock pins are heard and felt to lock in position.
- Recheck the fit of the spring seats.
- There must be 3 spring coils between the spring retainers when properly positioned. The end of the spring must be located under end of spring retainer. Coil spring must lie completely in the recess when tensioned in the spring retainer.
- Insert the spring strut into the coil spring. Mount the protective sleeve, auxiliary spring, and upper spring seat.
- Screw the self-locking nut onto the piston rod.
Release the coil spring until it is fully resting on the lower spring plate.
NOTEThe end of the coil spring must be aligned correctly at the rubber seal of the spring seat.
- Fully tighten the new self-locking nut to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Fully release the coil spring and remove the spring compressor tool.
- Install the strut assembly.