Verify the following conditions before centering the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) steering wheel module coil:
The wheels on the vehicle are straight ahead.
- If available, remove the yellow retaining tab from the SIR steering wheel module coil and save the tab for reassembly.
- Hold the SIR steering wheel module coil face up by the casing.
- Slowly turn the SIR steering wheel module coil hub (3) clockwise until the coil ribbon stops.
Slowly rotate the SIR steering wheel module coil hub (3) counterclockwise 2.5 revolutions until the centering window (4) turns yellow. This indicates the
- If the retaining tab is not available, the use of tape to secure the SIR steering wheel module coil is recommended for installation to the steering column.
- Slide the centered SIR steering wheel module coil onto the steering shaft.
Removal & Installation
- Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- On back side of the steering wheel are 2 circular openings, place the wheel so that one opening is on top.
- Using a blunt-ended tool, push the spring fastener inward through the access hole. Repeat the step for the other opening.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors.
- Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicles wheels are pointing straight ahead.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering column trim covers.
- Disconnect the SIR harness.
- Remove the SIR coil from the steering shaft.
If replacing, discard the SIR coil.
To install the SIR coil, perform the following procedure:
NOTEThe new SIR coil will be pre-centered. Do not remove the centering tab from the new SIR coil until the installation is complete. If the SIR coil does not come with a centering tab, you must center the SIR coil.
Aim the wheels straight ahead.
- Slide the new SIR coil onto the steering shaft assembly.
- Connect the SIR harness.
- Remove and discard the centering tab from the new SIR coil.
- Install the steering column trim covers.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Enable the SIR system.