The accelerator pedal contains 2 individual Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensors within the assembly. The APP sensors 1 and 2 are potentiometer type sensors each with 3 circuits:
The APP sensors are used to determine the pedal angle. The Engine Control Module (ECM) provides each APP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit. The APP sensors provide the ECM with signal voltage proportional to the pedal movement. The APP sensor 1 signal voltage at rest position is less than 1 volt and increases to more than 4 volts as the pedal is actuated. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage at rest position is less than 0.6 volt and increases to more than 2 volts as the pedal is actuated.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the APP sensor bolts .
Remove the APP sensor.
- Install the APP sensor.
- Install the APP bolts.
- Tighten the APP bolts to 89 inch. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the APP sensor electrical connector.
- Confirm that the APP sensor connector locking clip is fully secured.
- Disconnect the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) electrical connector.
- With digital multimeter check pin C for 5 volt reference signal.
- With digital multimeter check pin F for 5 volt reference signal.
If 5 volt reference signal is not present, repair circuit in question.