- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the knee bolster.
- Disconnect the sensor wire harness from the motor/module assembly.
- Use needle nose pliers to remove the wire strap clip from the motor/module assembly.
- If replacing the motor/module assembly, remove the wire strap clip from the sensor wire harness.
- If replacing the steering column, keep the wire harness strap clip attached to the sensor wire harness.
Use a M6x1 head bit to remove the 2 motor/module assembly TORX® screws. Discard the screws.
NOTEOnce the motor/module assembly has been removed, inspect the steering column assist mechanism input shaft for the rotor isolator bumper. If present, remove and insert back into the rotor isolator in the motor/module assembly.
Grasp the motor/module assembly by the motor housing and remove it from the steering column by pulling with an even tension.
- Fit the motor/module assembly rotor isolator over the steering column assist mechanism input shaft.
- Use a M6x1 TORX® head bit to attach the motor/module assembly to the steering column with the 2 new TORX® bolts. Tighten to 80 inch. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Connect the sensor wire harness to the motor/module assembly.
- Install the sensor wire harness strap clip into the motor/module assembly.
- Install the knee bolster.
- Perform the control module setup.
- Install an approved scan tool, select special functions.
- Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Center the steering wheel.
NOTEAfter centering the steering wheel, remove hands and other objects from the steering wheel and ensure the suspension is relaxed and no bias, or uneven force is being applied to the steering system.
Select the appropriate calibration function:
Steering position sensor calibration
- The scan tool screen will flash Calibration in Progress then display Calibration Complete.
- Press the exit key.
Use the scan tool in order to clear any steering DTCs
NOTEAfter turning OFF the ignition, allow 25 seconds of wait time before performing any procedures that require the vehicles battery to be disconnected, or module memory loss may occur.
- Turn OFF the ignition.
- Inspect all of the steering column components for correct operation.