Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the strut.
Mount the strut in a strut compressor.
NOTEThe strut compressor has strut mounting holes drilled for specific vehicle lines.
Compress the strut approximately
of its height after initial contact with the top cap.
WARNINGNever bottom the spring or damper rod.
Remove the strut damper shaft nut and place a guiding rod on top of the damper shaft. Use the rod to guide the damper shaft straight down through the spring cap while compressing the spring. Remove the components.
- Install the bearing cap onto the strut compressor, if removed.
- Mount the strut in the strut compressor using the bottom locking pin only.
- Install the spring over the damper and swing the assembly up so the upper locking pin can be installed.
- Install all shields, bumpers and insulators on the spring seat. Install the spring seat on top of the spring. Be sure the flat on the upper spring seat is facing in the proper direction. The spring seat flat should be facing the same direction as the centerline of the strut assembly spindle.
- Install the guiding rod and turn the forcing screw while the guiding rod centers the assembly. When the threads on the damper shaft are visible, remove the guiding rod and install the nut. Torque the nut to 34 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Remove the assembly from the compressor.
- Install the strut on the vehicle.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel.
If equipped with an Antilock Brake System (ABS) system, disconnect the ABS harness connector and route the harness aside. Note the routing for assembly.
Remove the upper control arm to support assembly bolt.
- Remove the upper control arm to knuckle bolt and nut.
- Remove the upper control arm from the vehicle through the wheel well opening.
- Position the upper control arm to the support assembly and knuckle.
- Install the upper control arm to knuckle bolt and nut. Hand tighten only.
- Install the upper control arm to support assembly bolt.
- Tighten the upper control arm to support assembly bolt to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm) plus 60 degrees.
- Tighten the upper control arm to knuckle bolt to 81 ft. lbs. (110 Nm) plus 70 degrees.
- If equipped with ABS, connect the ABS harness connector. Route the harness as previously noted.
- Install the tire and wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.