- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Turn the steering wheel to the straight forward position and remove the key from the ignition.
- Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the front tires and wheels.
Remove the intermediate shaft to steering gear pinch bolt. Discard the bolt.
NOTEDo not rotate the intermediate shaft once separated from the steering gear.
- Disconnect the intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Note the alignment for installation.
- Remove the transmission rear mount bolt if needed.
Remove the steering gear to frame bolts.
- Remove the steering gear through the left side of the vehicle. Rotate the gear 90 degrees in order to clear the rear transmission mount.
- If replacing the steering gear, remove the outer tie rod ends.
- Install the outer tie rod ends to the steering gear.
- Install the steering gear to the vehicle. Rotate the gear as necessary to clear the rear transmission mount.
- Install the steering gear to frame bolts, and tighten the bolts to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm) plus an additional 90 degrees.
- Install transmission mount bolt if previously removed. Tighten to 66 ft. lbs.(90 Nm).
- Connect the intermediate steering shaft to the steering gear as noted during removal.
- Install the new intermediate steering shaft to steering gear pinch bolt, and tighten the bolt to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Connect the outer tie rod ends to the steering knuckle.
- Install the front tires and wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Enable SIR System.
- Check the vehicle for alignment