These vehicles are equipped with sealed hub and bearing assemblies. The hub and bearing assemblies are non-serviceable. If the assembly is damaged, the complete unit must be replaced.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the wheel drive shaft nut.
- Remove the brake rotor.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor, if equipped with Antilock Brake System (ABS).
Remove the wheel speed sensor connector from the bracket by depressing the locking tabs, if equipped with ABS.
NOTEAvoid tool contact to the outer constant velocity boot seal when removing the wheel bearing mounting bolts. Failure to observe this notice may result in damage to the CV boot.
Remove the 3 hub and bearing assembly bolts.
- Install the J 42129 hub puller to the hub and bearing assembly in order to remove the hub and bearing assembly from the wheel drive shaft.
Remove the hub and bearing assembly from the steering knuckle.
Install the hub and bearing assembly to the steering knuckle.
NOTEThis is a self-retaining fastener joint that does not require thread locking compounds. Do not attempt to clean the threads with a standard tap. If a standard tap is used, damage to the joint threads will occur.
- Install the 3 hub and bearing assembly bolts. Tighten to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
- Install the wheel speed sensor connector into the bracket until the locking tabs click into place, if equipped with ABS.
- Connect the electrical connector to the wheel speed sensor, if equipped with ABS.
- Install the axle nut to the wheel drive shaft, hand tighten the wheel drive shaft nut.
- Install the brake rotor.
- Install the wheel drive shaft nut to the wheel drive shaft.
- Use a screw driver or similar tool to stop the rotation of the brake rotor
- Tighten the axle nut to 159 ft. lbs. (215 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assemblies.