Remove the fuel tank cap and relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing the fuel system in order to reduce the risk of personal injury. After you relieve the fuel system pressure, a small amount of fuel may be released when servicing the fuel lines, the fuel injection pump, or the connections. In order to reduce the risk of personal injury, cover the fuel system components with a shop towel before disconnection. This will catch any fuel that may leak out. Place the towel in an approved container when the disconnection is complete.
- If the fuel system requires repair, prevent fuel spillage by removing the fuel pump fuse or fuel pump module electrical connector.
- Loosen the fuel fill cap in order to relieve the fuel tank vapor pressure.
- Remove the engine cover, if required.
- Remove the fuel rail service port cap.
- Wrap a shop towel around the fuel rail service port and using a small flat-bladed tool, depress (open) the fuel rail test port valve.
- Remove the shop towel from around the fuel rail service port, and place in an approved gasoline container.
- Install the fuel rail service port cap.
- Install the engine cover, if required.
- Tighten the fuel fill cap.