Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove wheel.
Matchmark the position of the strut-to-steering knuckle location.
- Remove brake hose from the strut.
- Remove Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) wheel sensor and move it out of the way.
- Remove bolts attaching the steering knuckle to the strut. Matchmark the bolts before removal
Open the hood and remove the strut attaching nuts while holding the strut.
CAUTIONDo not remove the center locknut from the strut assembly until the strut is safely compressed.
- Remove strut from the vehicle.
- Place the strut assembly in a vise with a holding tool or in a spring compressor.
Loosen the piston rod locknut.
CAUTIONDo not remove the piston rod locknut, the spring is under tension and can cause serious personal injury.
Compress the spring with the spring compressor, then remove the piston rod locknut.
NOTEBefore removing the strut from the coil spring, note the positioning of the strut in relationship to the coil spring for reassembly.
- Remove or disconnect the following:
- Remove strut mounting insulator bracket, strut mounting bearing, upper spring seat and the upper spring rubber seat.
- Remove strut, leaving the coil spring compressed.
- Remove piston boot and rebound bumper from the strut.
- Install rebound bumper and the boot to the strut piston.
- Install strut into the coil spring, be sure the strut and spring are properly positioned with matchmarks.
- Install upper spring rubber seat, upper spring seat, strut mounting bearing and the strut mounting insulator bracket. Be sure that the cutout on the upper spring seat is facing the outside of the vehicle.
- Install piston rod locknut. Remove the tool and torque the piston rod locknut to 44-65 ft. lbs. (59-88 Nm).
- Install strut into the strut tower.
- Install new attaching nuts and torque to 32-38 ft. lbs. (43-51 Nm).
- Install bolts attaching the steering knuckle to the strut and align the matchmarks and torque to 103-117 ft. lbs. (140-159 Nm).
- Install ABS wheel sensor and torque to 13-17 ft. lbs. (18-24 Nm).
- Install brake hose to the strut.
- Install front wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check and/or adjust the wheel alignment as necessary.