- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Disconnect battery positive terminal.
CAUTIONAfter disconnecting the negative battery cable, wait for at least 3 minutes for the SRS modules to deplete its energy.
- Discharge the refrigerant from the A/C system.
- Drain the coolant from the cooling system.
- Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core pipes.
- Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the evaporator.
Remove the instrument panel by removing or disconnecting the following:
WARNINGTo avoid damage, eject map DVD-ROM disk before removing the NAVI control unit.
WARNINGCover NAVI control unit with a cloth and avoid contact of NAVI control unit with brackets that may cause scratches or damage to NAVI control unit.
CAUTIONWhen servicing the SRS, do not work from directly in front of air bag module.
WARNINGDo not attempt to repair or replace damaged direct-connect SRS component connectors. If a driver air bag direct-connect harness connector is damaged, the spiral cable must be replaced.
WARNINGAlways place air bag module with pad side facing upward. Do not insert any foreign objects (screwdriver, etc.) into air bag module or harness connectors. Do not disassemble air bag module. Do not use old bolts after removal; replace with new bolts. Do not expose the air bag module to temperatures exceeding 194°F (90°C). Replace the air bag module if it has been dropped or sustained an impact. Do not allow oil, grease or water to come in contact with the air bag module.
Fuse block cover
Front center console
Steering wheel center nut
Disconnect the following:
- Telescopic sensor, if equipped.
- Tilt sensor, if equipped.
- Headlamp switch.
- Combination switch.
- Spiral cable.
- Key in reminder.
- Illumination lamp.
- Ignition switch.
- Column harness clips, position aside.
- Shaft lower cover.
- Pinch bolt.
- Steering column nuts and steering column.
- Instrument panel.
- Remove the ECM.
- Disconnect the blower motor, intake door motor, and fan control amp. connector.
- Disconnect the main harness from the top of the blower unit.
- Remove the two bolts and one screw from the blower unit as shown.
- Remove the blower unit.
- Disconnect the mode door motor and the air mix door motor connectors.
- Remove the heater and cooling unit.
- Remove the heater core pipe support screws and then remove the heater core pipe support.
- Remove the air mix door motor (passenger side).
- Remove the heater core cover screws and then remove the heater core cover.
Remove the heater core.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following points:
NOTEWhen installing the steering column, finger-tighten all of the lower bracket and joint retaining bolt; then tighten them to specification. Do not apply undue stress to the steering column.
- For the steering column, be sure to align slit of the coupling joint with projection on dust cover. Insert the joint until both surfaces make contact. Torque the joint retaining bolt to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm). Torque the lower bracket bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
- After installation, turn steering wheel to make sure it moves smoothly. Ensure the number of turns are the same from the straight-forward position to left and right locks. Be sure that the steering wheel is in a neutral position when driving straight ahead.
- Align spiral cable correctly when installing steering wheel. Make sure that the spiral cable is in the neutral position. The neutral position is detected by turning left 2.5 revolutions from the right end position and ending with the knob at the top.
Torque the steering wheel center nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
WARNINGThe spiral cable may snap due to steering operation if the cable is installed in an improper position.
Make sure to connect all electrical connectors including the following:
Tilt motor and telescopic motor electrical connector, if equipped
- Make sure that any/all vacuum lines and hoses are reconnected.
- Recharge the A/C system.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Reconnect battery positive terminal first; the negative battery terminal second.