- Make sure the parking brake control lever is fully released and parking brake cable adjusting nut is loosened.
- Remove the adjuster hole plug installed on the rotor. Using a screwdriver, turn the adjuster as shown until the rotor is locked. After locking, turn the adjuster in the opposite direction 5 or 6 notches.
- Rotate the rotor to make sure that there is no drag. Install the adjuster hole plug.
- After adjusting the clearance of the rear shoes, adjust the parking brake cable.
Removal & Installation
- Remove the wheel and tire.
- Remove the brake rotor with the parking brake lever completely disengaged.
If the brake rotor cannot be removed, remove as follows:
- Secure the brake rotor with the wheel nut and remove the adjuster hole plug.
- Insert a flat-bladed screwdriver through the plug opening and rotate the star wheel on the adjuster assembly in the direction as shown to retract the parking brake shoes.
- Remove the parking brake shoe springs using a suitable tool.
Remove the parking brake shoes and adjuster.
Installation is in the reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Apply brake grease to the brake shoe contact area.