Precaution for draining coolant:
- Drain coolant when engine is cooled.
Precautions for disconnecting fuel piping:
- Before starting work, make sure no fire or spark producing items are in the work area.
- Release fuel pressure before disassembly.
- After disconnecting pipes, plug openings to stop fuel leakage.
Precautions for removal and disassembly:
- When instructed to use special service tools, use the specified tools. Always be careful to work safely, avoid forceful or uninstructed operations.
- Exercise maximum care to avoid damage to mating or sliding surfaces.
- Cover openings of engine system with tape or the equivalent, if necessary, to seal out foreign materials.
- Mark and arrange disassembly parts in an organized way for easy troubleshooting and assembly.
- When loosening nuts and bolts, as a basic rule, start with the one furthest outside, then the one diagonally opposite, and so on. If the order of loosening is specified, do exactly as specified. Power tools may be used where noted in the step.
Precaution for inspection, repair and replacement:
- Before repairing or replacing, thoroughly inspect parts. Inspect new replacement parts in the same way, and replace if necessary.
Precautions for assembly and installation:
- Use torque wrench to tighten bolts or nuts to specification.
- When tightening nuts and bolts, as a basic rule, equally tighten in several different steps starting with the ones in center, then ones on inside and outside diagonally in this order. If the order of tightening is specified, do exactly as specified.
- Replace with new gasket, packing, oil seal or O-ring.
- Thoroughly wash, clean, and air-blow each part. Carefully check oil or coolant passages for any restriction and blockage.
- Avoid damaging sliding or mating surfaces. Completely remove foreign materials such as cloth lint or dust. Before assembly, oil sliding surfaces well.
- Release air within route after draining coolant.
- Before starting engine, apply fuel pressure to fuel lines with turning ignition switch ON (with engine stopped). Then make sure that there are no leaks at fuel line connections.
- After repairing, start engine and increase engine speed to check coolant, fuel, oil, and exhaust systems for leakage.