REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1988-89 323 Turbo w/4WD; 1988-89 626 and MX-6 w/4WS
The transfer pump is an impeller type pump. On 626s and MX-6s, the pump is mounted in the fuel tank next to the main fuel pump. On 323s, the pump is mounted on a bracket on the underside of the fuel tank. The transfer pump generates an output pressure of 0.4-5.7 psi (3-39 kPa).
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On 323s, work from underneath the vehicle and separate the transfer pump from the mounting bracket.
- On 626s and MX-6s, remove the fuel tank from the vehicle, then remove the cover plate attaching screws and withdraw the pump from the fuel tank.
- Detach the fuel hoses and electrical connector from the pump.
- Attach the hoses and connectors to the pump.
- On 323s, connect the pump to the mounting bracket.
- On 626s and MX-6s, position the transfer pump in the fuel tank. Use a new cover plate gasket and install the cover plate attaching screws. Properly install the fuel tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable.