SHIFT LINKAGE & SELECTOR LEVER
1986-87 323 Sedan/Hatchback, 1988-89 323 Wagon and 1983-86 626
See Figure 1
- Engage the parking brake. Remove the shift lever boot. Loosen both locknuts on the cable.
- Shift the lever to the Neutral position. Shift the selector on the side of the transaxle to the same position by counting detents.
- Turn the lower locknut until it just touches the shifter collar. Then, torque the upper locknut to 67-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
Have someone watch the lever on the transaxle. Slowly push the lever toward Park until the lever on the transmission just begins to move, and note how far the shifter has moved. Return the lever to the Neutral position and repeat the procedure going toward the Drive position. If the distances are the same in both directions, the adjustment is correct. If not, adjust the shifter as follows:
If the shift lever moves too far in the forward direction-tighten the LOWER locknut
See Figure 2
- Remove the shifter cover and loosen locknuts A and B (see illustration).
- On some models of the 626 and MX-6 a lockbolt will be threaded into the center of the shift adjust lever (between the locknuts). If present, the lockbolt must be loosened before adjustment.
- Shift the selector lever to the Park position and make sure that a click is heard at each position from Park to 1st.
- Shift the transaxle to the Park position by moving the manual shaft on the transaxle.
- If present, tighten the lockbolt to 67-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Turn locknut A until it just contacts the manual shaft lever.
- Back off locknut A one full turn and tighten locknut B to 67-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Repeat Step 2 in order to verify that a click is heard at each position.
- Make sure that the position of the selector lever matches the positions on the indicator plate. Make sure the shifter button operates smoothly when the shifter lever is moved.
KICKDOWN SWITCH & DOWNSHIFT SOLENOID
323, 626 and MX-6
- Disconnect the wires from the kickdown solenoid (located above the accelerator pedal) and attach a continuity tester. Have someone slowly depress the accelerator pedal as you read the tester to check for continuity. It should begin when the accelerator pedal is depressed 7 / 8 of the way.
- If the adjustment is incorrect, loosen the locknut and turn the switch clockwise for earlier engagement or counterclockwise for later engagement. Tighten the locknut and reconnect the wires.