REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On some RX-7s, certain components of the exhaust system may have to be removed in order to remove the transmission pan.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Place a drain pan under the transmission.
- Remove the pan attaching bolts (except the two at the front). Loosen the two at the front slightly. Allow the fluid to drain.
- Remove the pan.
- Remove and discard the gasket.
- Clean all gasket mating surfaces. Wipe the inside of the oil pan with a clean rag. Remove any deposits with solvent and dry the inside of the pan.
- Install a new pan gasket and install the pan on the transmission. Tighten the pan bolts in a crisscross pattern. DO NOT overtighten.
- Lower the vehicle and fill the transmission with fluid. Check the transmission operation.
- Remove the transmission oil pan as described ealier.
- Remove the attaching bolts, then remove the filter assembly.
- Install the filter, then torque the bolts using several passes of a diagonal sequence to 4-5 ft. lbs. (5-7 Nm).