See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the floor mat.
- Loosen the locknut on the adjusting bolt, stopper bolt or clutch switch.
Turn the adjusting bolt until the clearance between the upper surface of the pedal pad and the firewall is within specification:
1982-83 GLC: 7.28-7.68 in. (185-195mm)
- After adjustment, tighten the locknut.
The free-play of the clutch pedal before the pushrod contacts the piston in the master cylinder should be 0.02-0.12 in. (0.50-3.00mm).
To adjust free-play, loosen the locknut and turn the pushrod until the proper adjustment is obtained. Tighten the locknut after the adjustment is complete.GLC, MX-6, 929, RX-7 and 1983-89 626
See Figure 3
First, depress the clutch pedal and measure the distance between the pedal's normal height and the point at which the clutch begins to disengage (effort increases) in order to determine the free-play. The play should be:
GLC: 0.43-0.67 in. (11-17mm)
- If play is incorrect, loosen the locknut on the clutch cable. Pull the release fork backward so as to create a clearance between the adjusting nut roller and fork. The clearance should be about 0.06-0.09 in. (1.5-2.3mm) for rear wheel drive vehicles or 0.08-0.12 in. (2-3mm) for front wheel drive vehicles. Adjust the nut if necessary, then recheck the adjustment at the pedal. When the adjustment is correct, tighten the locknut.
- If the adjustment is correct, the distance from the bottom of the pedal to the floor when the clutch is fully disengaged should be at least 3.19 in. (81mm).
Loosen the locknut on the clutch master cylinder pushrod. Turn the pushrod to obtain free-play between the pedal and pushrod as specified below. Tighten the locknut on the pushrod when the adjustment is complete.
Depress the pedal lightly and measure the free-play. Free-play should be 0.35-0.59 in. (9-15mm). If not within specification, adjust the free-play as follows:
- On 1988-89 vehicles, depress the clutch pedal 7 times and straighten the clutch cable in the cable bracket.
- Depress the release lever and pull the pin away from the lever. Then, adjust the clearance between the pin and the adjusting lever by turning the adjusting nut. On 1986-87 vehicles, the clearance should be between 0.06-0.10 in. (1.5-2.5mm). On 1988-89 vehicles, the clearance should be 0.08-0.12 in. (2-3mm).
- After adjustment, ensure that when the clutch is disengaged, the distance between the floor and the upper center of the pedal is 3.3 in. (84mm).
- Recheck the pedal height and adjust if necessary.
Loosen the locknut on the clutch master cylinder pushrod. Turn the pushrod to obtain 0.2-0.5 in. (5-13mm) free-play between the pedal and the pushrod. Tighten the locknut on the pushrod when the adjustment is complete.
CLUTCH RELEASE CABLE
Rear Wheel Drive GLC
See Figure 4
Loosen the locknut and put tension on the outer cable (pull, do not push) while turning the adjusting nut until the clearance shown in the illustration is 0.06-0.09 in. (1.5-2.3mm). Then, tighten the locknut.
- Loosen the locknut on the end of the clutch cable, near the release lever. (The release lever is mounted on top of the transaxle case.)
- Turn the adjusting nut until the gap (clearance) between the roller on the cable and the release lever is 0.08-0.12 in. (2-3mm).
In order to get an accurate measurement, be sure to pull the roller toward the end of the cable while pushing the lever in the opposite direction.
- Tighten the locknut.