As the electronic brain of a closed loop system, the engine control unit receives data from a number of vehicle-mounted sensors. Such data pertains to (but is not limited to) engine speed, coolant temperature, exhaust gas oxygen content, manifold vacuum and throttle valve position. In response to these ongoing inputs, the ECU continually controls the operation of a series of solenoid valves in order to maintain optimal operating conditions. As an example of its many functions, the ECU determines the operating period of the Air/Fuel (A/F) solenoid and controls the air/fuel ratio.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the passenger and driver side cover walls from the center console unit.
- Detach the ECU electrical connectors.
- Unfasten the mounting bolts/nuts and remove the ECU.
- Position the ECU and fasten its mounting hardware.
- Attach the electrical connectors.
- Install the passenger and driver side cover walls on the center console unit.
- Connect the negative battery cable.