REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
GLC and 323
- Remove the attaching nuts and washers/springs from the exhaust manifold or exhaust manifold mounted converter studs. Disconnect the secondary air line from the pipe connecting the two converters on the GLC. Remove the nuts and washers from the studs or bolts on the front of the rear converter. On the 323, remove the bolts from the front of the front converter.
- Pull the pipe downward and off the manifold mounted converter or manifold. Then, pull it off the exhaust system converter. Remove all gaskets.
- On the GLC, disconnect the secondary air line where it runs into the converter. On both models, remove the studs and nuts connecting the main exhaust system mounted converter to the front of the exhaust pipe. Pull the unit forward and off the studs. Unbolt and remove the upper and lower heat shields on the GLC. Remove the gasket.
- Clean all flanges and install in reverse order, using new gaskets.
- The catalytic converter is integral with a pipe and the resonator, as well as the pipe linking the resonator to the exhaust pipe and muffler. First, support this assembly in front of the resonator.
- Remove the nuts and springs holding the studs in the forward end of the catalytic converter to the front pipe flange. Then, remove the nuts from the forward ends of the bolts attaching the assembly to the center pipe and muffler. Pull the bolts out to the rear.
See Figures 1, 2, and 3
- Remove the rubber support donuts at the forward hangers and at the resonator. Then, lower the assembly at the rear and, when the rear is clear of the flange behind, slide the converter studs out of the flange in the front pipe. Remove the gaskets at both ends, as well as the ring type seal located in the rear of the front pipe.
- Clean all flanges and install in reverse order, using new gaskets and seals.