REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Trunk lid removal/installation is more easily performed with the help of an assistant.
- Open and support the trunk lid securely.
- Mark the position of each trunk lid hinge in relation to the trunk lid. Disconnect the trunk lid stay from its mounting bracket, if so equipped.
- Remove the fasteners (usually 2) attaching each hinge to the trunk lid.
- Remove the trunk lid from the vehicle.
- Align the marks on the trunk lid with the hinges.
- Install the hinge-to-trunk lid nuts or bolts.
- Tighten the trunk lid fasteners and adjust if necessary.
See Figures 2 and 3
On the 1986-89 RX-7, the trunk lid striker is stamped with an F mark indicating the front of the vehicle. If the striker was removed, make sure that the directional mark is facing towards the front of the vehicle before attempting any adjustment.
- Loosen the striker attaching bolts, and move the striker as required.
- Tighten the attaching bolts.
- To make the to-and-fro or side-to-side adjustment, loosen the trunk lid attaching bolts and move the trunk lid as necessary. Tighten the trunk lid attaching bolts.
- To make the up-and-down adjustment, loosen the hinge-to-hinge support attaching bolts and raise or lower the hinge as necessary. The trunk lid is at the correct height when it is flush with the trunk deck.