REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Run the engine at fast idle for ten minutes with the air conditioning unit ON , then stop the engine.
- Discharge the refrigerant system, as described in General Information & Maintenance of this repair guide.
R-12 refrigerant is a chlorofluorocarbon which, when released into the atmosphere, can contribute to the depletion of the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere. Ozone filters out harmful radiation from the sun. An approved R-12 recovery/recycling station that meets SAE standards should be used when discharging the system. Follow the operating instructions provided with the equipment exactly to properly discharge the system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and the wire from the magnetic clutch.
- Disconnect the suction and discharge hoses from the compressor and plug the ends of the hoses to prevent the entry of moisture and contamination.
- Loosen the compressor mounting bolts and slip the drive belt from the pulley.
- Unfasten the mounting bolts and remove the compressor from the vehicle.
- Position the compressor onto its mounting and install the mounting bolts. Place the drive belt onto the pulley.
- Connect the suction and discharge hoses to the compressor and adjust the drive belt tension.
- Connect the magnetic clutch wire and the negative battery cable.
- Evacuate and charge the system using approved equipment, as described in General Information & Maintenance .