REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine coolant from the radiator and block. Use a clean container so that the coolant may be re-used if desired.
- Unclamp and disconnect the heater (water) hose attached to the oil cooler.
- Remove the oil filter.
- Remove the bolts and then disconnect the water inlet pipe. Unclamp and disconnect the oil bypass return hose.
- Remove the bolts mounting the oil return pipe to the block. Remove the through-bolts and then disconnect the oil return pipe and the oil bypass inlet hose at the cooler.
- Remove the two mounting bolts and two nuts, then remove the cooler from the block. Make sure to remove the O-rings from the recesses where the cooler fits against the block.
- Inspect the water and oil hoses, and replace any that are bulging or cracked.
- Apply clean engine oil to the area represented by the shaded portion of the illustration. Then, position the O-rings and position the cooler. Install the bolts and nuts, torquing them to 23-34 ft. lbs. (31-46 Nm).
- Fasten the oil return pipe and oil bypass inlet hose to the cooler with through-bolts. Fasten the oil return pipe to the block.
- Connect the oil bypass return hose to the oil return pipe. Connect the water inlet pipe and gasket to the cooler.
- Install a new oil filter.
- Connect the heater hose to the oil cooler.
- Close the drain cock(s), then refill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Drain the engine oil.
- On 323 models, remove the engine under cover.
- Remove the oil filter and disconnect the cooling hoses from the oil cooler. Plug the ends to prevent leakage.
- Loosen the nut that holds the cooler to the oil filter post and remove the unit. Wipe all the cooler mating surfaces with a clean rag.
- Install the oil cooler and torque the retaining nut to 22-29 ft. lbs. (30-39 Nm). Install a new oil filter and connect the water hoses. Install the under cover on the 323.
- Fill the crankcase with clean oil to the proper level. Start the engine and check for leaks.