REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The only components that can be serviced by removing the oil pan are the oil strainer and the oil pressure control valve.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Disconnect the oil level sensor and the oil thermo unit (non-California vehicles).
- Remove the pan bolts, then lower the pan.
- Thoroughly clean the old gasket material off the pan and engine mating surfaces.
- Apply a continuous bead of sealer (Mazda Part No. 8527 77 739 or equivalent) to the pan surface. The bead should be 0.16-0.24 in. (4-6mm) wide and should overlap at the end. Apply the sealer as shown in the illustration.
- Fit the gasket on the pan, then apply an identical bead of sealer on top of the gasket.
- Position the pan and torque the bolts to 6-8 ft. lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Connect the oil level sensor and, if applicable, the oil thermo unit.
- Fill the crankcase with engine oil (see General Information & Maintenance for details).
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the engine oil.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle, then remove the engine under cover.
- Disconnect the oil level sensor and, if so equipped, the oil thermo unit.